Mississauga Senior Real Estate: Should You Stay or Move? Tips from a Lifestyle55+ Affiliate
Thursday Apr 27th, 2023
As a Lifestyle55+ Affiliate (formerly Accredited Senior Agent - ASA), I often hear seniors ask themselves whether they should stay in their current home or move to another place that better suits their current lifestyle. Unfortunately, there is no straightforward answer to this question. It is a personal decision that depends on many factors, including finances, health and ability, lifestyle and freedom and choice versus circumstance.
If you are considering your options, here are some tips to help you decide whether you should stay put in your current house or move to a new home:
Do You Want to Move or Feel Like You Have To?
Before you start exploring your options, it is essential to ask yourself whether you want to move or feel like you have to move. Many factors can influence what is true for you, such as your financial situation, health and lifestyle.
Would You Still Want to Stay in Your Current Home?
If you could stay in your home, would you still want to? Consider the following questions:
- Are you ‘over-housed,’ meaning you use less than one-third of the space in the home?
- Is cleaning and maintaining the home becoming a burden?
- Is the house holding you back from achieving other goals or having future adventures?
- Would a property you could lock up and leave unattended for extended periods appeal more?
Suppose you answered yes to the questions above. In that case, it may be time to consider downsizing to a smaller home like a townhouse, condominium or even one of the many retirement communities in Mississauga and the Greater Toronto Area (GTA).
How Can a Lifestyle55+ Affiliate Help?
Working with a Lifestyle55+ Affiliate is a great first step in exploring your options. Here are a few ways we can help:
- Talk to you: Even by investing just one hour of your time, you can walk away knowing so much more about your options related to your future move.
- Provide clarity: If you are still deciding whether to stay in your current home or move, a Lifestyle55+ Affiliate can provide questionnaires designed to help you discover the pros and cons of moving.
- Research for you: As a Lifestyle55+ Affiliate, I can research and present your options for future housing – from active adult lifestyle and retirement communities to extended care facilities.
- Help you “age in place”: If remaining in your current home is of the utmost importance, a Lifestyle55+ Affiliate can help you “age in place” by recommending contractors who specialize in renovations to help seniors stay in their homes longer.
- Connect you with trusted financial experts: Understanding the financial implications of remaining in your home versus moving depends on your financial situation. A Lifestyle55+ Affiliate can put you in touch with financial advisors who can help you plan for your future regarding your financial snapshot.
- Open the lines of communication with your family: One of the best ways a Lifestyle55+ Affiliate can help you is by facilitating a conversation between yourself and your family so they understand your wishes regarding your next move.
Deborah Clerk – Your Mississauga Lifestyle55+ Affiliate
Don’t let circumstances rule the rest of your golden years. By considering your options now, you can have complete control and choice of how, when and where your next move will take you.
To learn more about how a Lifestyle55+ Affiliate can help you, please get in touch with me, Deborah Clerk, at Keller Williams Real Estate Associates, Brokerage, in Mississauga, Ontario, to set up an appointment.