Mississauga Senior Real Estate: Should I Move Closer to My Family?
Friday Jan 27th, 2023
For many seniors, retirement is an open door to living life with more freedom – to travel more, engage in hobbies, enjoy a slower pace and spend time with loved ones. But, for some seniors, their family may live far away in another city or a different part of town, making regular visits a challenge.
That’s why, in my role as a Lifestyle55+ Affiliate (formerly Accredited Senior Agent - ASA), I often find myself helping seniors downsize and relocate to be closer to their adult children and grandchildren. It certainly is a popular option nowadays. But, like most things in real estate, it’s a very individual choice that comes with a lot of thought and consideration.
If you are a senior embarking on a late-in-life transition, read on for some questions to ask yourself before deciding to move closer to your family.
What To Consider When Moving Near Grown Child When You Retire
- How often will you spend time with your family? If you think that time will be minimal, will moving closer still be a worthwhile experience?
- What kind of activities will you do together? Alternatively, what types of activities will you do on your own?
- Will your next possible city or town cater to your wants and needs? Think about all aspects of your life – will you have access to excellent medical care, community services and groups, social interaction, hobbies and more?
- What if your adult children are transferred to another city, travel a lot for work, or retire to a warmer climate for part of the year? How would this affect you?
- If you lose your driver’s license, how will it affect you and everyone else? Will moving closer be beneficial to you in this regard?
- How could your move affect other family members who live in different cities?
- Can you afford to move? Have you considered the housing and living costs in your next possible city or town?
- Will there be help and support with selling your current home and assistance with your move?
The answers to these questions may help you decide whether to move closer to family. But, what’s most important, is that you take the time to make the right decision for this next chapter in your life.
Your Mississauga Lifestyle55+ Affiliate
If you have any questions about downsizing or need senior real estate advice, I’m here to help. I love nothing more than working with senior clients and their families. It is a true passion of mine, which is why I earned my Lifestyle55+ Affiliate professional designation in the first place.
To get in touch with me, please contact Deborah Clerk, Real Estate Sales Representative, ASA, at Keller Williams Realty, Brokerage, in Mississauga, Ontario.