14 Questions to Ask When Visiting an Open House
Monday Nov 19th, 2018
Whether you are seriously looking for a new home or are casually cruising the open house circuit, seeing listings in person is a great way to assess the local market. It also allows you to experience every aspect of a home and property – from its quality and aesthetics to its feeling and functionality. And while looking at listings online is beneficial, real estate images and video don’t always paint an accurate picture of a house. There is also something to be said for seeing and feeling finishes and assessing the current state of the windows, roof, mechanical units and other big-ticket items.
What’s more, attending an open house allows you one-on-one access to the listing agent. This is a great opportunity to ask questions, request home inspection reports and to dig a bit deeper about the property and neighbourhood.
Before you attend another open house, here are some helpful questions to arm yourself with:
1. What is the listing price?
2. Have there been any price reductions?
3. How long has the home been on the market?
4. Does the property have any current offers? If so, how many and what is the status of each?
5. What is the neighbourhood like?
6. How are the schools in the area? Any other notable amenities?
7. Has the home passed an inspection? Can I see the report?
8. What updates have been done to the home?
9. Does the home have a history of flooding, mould or asbestos?
10. When was the roof, plumbing, electrical and HVAC last upgraded?
11. What are the average utility costs and property taxes?
12. If the home is a condo or townhouse, are there any maintenance fees?
13. Which appliances/chattels/fixtures are included or excluded?
14. Why is the seller moving and are the possession dates firm?
One final note about open house etiquette: always remove your shoes (unless otherwise noted), don’t forget to sign in and greet the realtor hosting the open house – he/she will be so glad you did! Don’t be shy about asking your questions either – if you are thinking of putting an offer on the home, you’ll want to know these answers beforehand anyway.
Your Mississauga Real Estate Sales Representative
Are you in the market to buy your first home or maybe even your third or fourth? I love nothing more than working with all kinds of buyers to help them find the type of home they need that suits their budget and ideal wish list.
To learn more about my comprehensive real estate services, please feel free to contact me, Deborah Clerk, Sales Representative at Keller Williams Realty, Brokerage, for details. I can set you up with daily listing email alerts and schedule private viewings for any homes that meet your criteria or catch your eye.