Spring into Action: Top Tips for Preparing Your Home for Mississauga's Real Estate Market
Thursday Mar 09th, 2023
For us realtors, spring is one of the best times of the year! Not only is the weather improving, and there's more sunlight to enjoy, but it's also one of the more action-packed seasons for the real estate market. Whether helping buyers find their dream abodes or working with homeowners to sell their properties, the spring market is exciting and busy.
It's also a season with much competition from other sellers looking to fetch top dollar for their listings. If you are considering selling your home in the coming months, you'll want to use these next few weeks to get your spaces into shape.
Here is a list of things you can do now to help your home look its best for the spring market:
Spring Cleaning Essentials
Have holiday decorations lingering about, or are dust bunnies starting to multiply? A thorough spring cleaning of your home is the best place to start before listing it for sale. Follow this basic checklist to make your spaces sparkle:
- Empty all closets, drawers and cupboards and wipe down surfaces.
- Toss, sell or donate any items or furnishings you don't plan to move.
- De-clutter and organize every room in the home, including the basement.
- Pack away and store all unessential items.
- Clean all rooms from top to bottom, paying close attention to cobwebs and grime.
- Scrub all surfaces, especially the kitchen and bathroom.
- Clean appliances inside and out.
- Dust and polish furniture.
- Replace burnt-out light bulbs.
- Wash windows inside and out.
- Clean curtains and blinds.
- Shampoo and deodorize carpets and area rugs.
- Clean and wax your floors.
Must-Do Outdoor Maintenance
Depending on what Mother Nature has in store for the weeks leading up to spring, you can get a head start on exterior projects to spruce up your outdoor spaces. Here are some tasks to consider:
- Repair any damage leftover from winter's wrath by inspecting the exterior of your home – pay close attention to your gutters, siding, shutters and other elements.
- Remove any holiday decorations or string lights.
- Replace burnt-out exterior light bulbs.
- Give your landscaping some TLC by picking up garbage and removing dead foliage.
- Put shovels, snow blowers, salt and other gear away.
- Replace or repair damaged walkways or steps.
- When it's time, cut, fertilize and over-seed the lawn.
- Trim hedges, shrubs and trees that are due for a spring clip.
Curb Appeal Checklist
Now that the grunt work is complete, it's time for the finishing touches that will add to your home's curb appeal. This list offers some ideas that can make your house stand out from the street:
- Revive your front door with a fresh coat of paint.
- Update your house numbers and mailbox.
- Add a spring wreath to add colour to your porch.
- Plant frost-resistant annuals in your urns.
- Set out a new welcome mat.
- Add new throw cushions to outdoor seating.
If you need help with how best to prepare for the spring market, a local realtor is a great resource to get you on your way. I work with my sellers to get their homes looking their best before listing by assessing their spaces and recommending which enhancements are worth the investment. I also partner with exceptional home stagers who can organize your furniture, accessorize your rooms and create an inspiring atmosphere that will resonate with buyers.
To learn more about my comprehensive array of home selling services, contact me, Deborah Clerk, Real Estate Sales Representative, ASA with Keller Williams Real Estate Associates, Brokerage, in Mississauga, Ontario, for a free home evaluation.